Just Another Blog

Monday, February 09, 2009

O, thou truly are awesome Ubuntu!

So finally as I posted earlier I decided to buy a PC. Kiki and I went to the place in Secunderabad and ended up buying PCs with the exact same configuration!
Pentium dual core 2.5ghz (sucks), 4gb ram, 250gb HDD, nvidia nforce 780i motherboard, xfx nvidia 8800gt graphics card, samsun 20" lcd monitor, dvd combo drive, microsoft keyboard and mouse. It cost like 39k totally and inside by cabinet there are 5 fans! Here's a pic for the ub3r nerds -















Pretty cool huh? Anyways, I installed an original copy of WinXP SP2 on it and then updated it to sp3 and patched it completely. Played most of my games (NFS Undercover, Fifa 09, Prince of Persia etc) on it. Finally I got bored of looking at windows and decided to install linux (did I mention the first thing I downloaded on my new PC was ubuntu iso?). Thanks to Praveen, I got a CD and burnt the image and booted it up using CD. The installation was really fast but I had some trouble getting my graphics card to be recognized. After installing some restricted drivers this was the result -
manikandan@chaosnet:~$ glxinfo | grep render
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 8800 GT/PCI/SSE2
W00000t! It recognized my graphics card. From here on installing eye candy was child's play. After only about half an hour, this was what I had -

<-- My desktop









<-- 3D window switcher









<-- Wobbly: Makes windows wobble when you drag them








<-- Ripple effect: Water ripples on the desktop








<-- Blur effect: Adds motion blur to all actions









I know a lot of these are just eye candy and have got nothing to do with performance, but they look pretty cool :D. There are a lot more effects (one of them is an effect which turns your desktop into a 3d cube) but only a video can do justice to them I'm too lazy to make a video now. For those interested I used compiz fusion on top of gnome. I hope I made at least a few of you jealous :)

3 Comments:

At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

u g33k! die now

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

A PC. Wow. Good old days :)
So, when not playing games can I assume that you are working on Ubuntu? you nerd :P

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

also, mail me the rate of NVIDIA 8800 GTX

 

Post a Comment

<< Home