Just Another Blog

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Time for a PC?

Working for Google has its advantages. Everyone gets a laptop and that has prevented me from buying a PC till now. However, I am fed up of having to play all the games I buy (yes, I BUY games) on a crappy graphics card with uber low graphics settings. It does not give me the proper gaming experience that I love. I think the collection of games I have (maybe i'll list it in another post) deserves better. Its kinda like watching a movie at home vs in a theatre. If the movie itself is terrible it wont make a difference, but if the movie is a decent one then I think watching it in theatre gives you a better experience.
So here I am, wondering if its worth buying a PC. Not only will I be able to play most games with awesome graphics, I can also use it to create stuff that will be mine alone (apparently if I use Google property to create something then that something belongs to Google). I've actually been thinking about it for sometime now, and I've already decided my graphics card is going to be either a GeForce 8800GT or a GeForce 9800GT. I talked (read emailed) with Rao (yes, I still talk with a few people from my batch in college once in a while) and he said both are good choices (If anyone knows a better choice in the price range of 8k - 10k please do let me know). The rest of the stuff is still undecided. Should I go for a motherboard with SLI or not? Is it worth buying a UPS? How much RAM should I buy? Should I buy RAM with SLI support? etc etc etc. Well, if I do buy a PC, I am definitely going to write about it! Later d00ds ..

4 Comments:

At 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"(yes, I still talk with a few people from my batch in college once in a while)"

m0f0.. u havent talked 2 me in 2 yrs.. bitch :p

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger ravikishore said...

better get a hp firebird desktop. it has 3 gpu's, 1 integrated and two MXM G9800. We released it from pune in the first week of jan :)

cost is pretty high, though. :D

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Buy a PS3/XBOX/Wii (yes, pay for the console too :P) and save yourself all the trouble :)

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Manikandan said...

@thread: pacha .. I still chat with you :P .. that is what I meant by saying I talk with a few people
@ravi: Sorry, I'm looking for a budget PC :)
@vivek: d00d .. you don't think I thought about that? You need a good TV to really enjoy a console game. Plus as I mentioned I can do some s/w development also on a PC :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home